Ascension Lutheran Church began on September 30, 1954 when Rev. Calton Kjergaard held a Bible study for seven people.
First Worship Service
On October 31st, 63 people attended Ascension's first worship service in the McMaster Park building. As the small congregation grew, the Mission board purchased a small farm house on four acres of land in Torrance.
First Resident Pastor
Rev. Lloyd C. Warneke was installed as the first resident pastor of Ascension in May of 1956.
As the congregation grew, members planned to build a new house of worship. The Parish Hall was dedicated on November 11, 1956.
Ascension Day School Established
In 1960, Ascension Day School began with seven students enrolled in Kindergarten.
First 8th Grade Graduation
Additional grades were added over time and in 1964 the first eighth grade graduation was held.
On August 25th, 1968, the cornerstone of Ascension's present sanctuary was laid.
Sanctuary and Administration Dedicated
The sanctuary and the administration wing were dedicated in 1969.
Rev. Alan Wyneken Installed
Rev. Alan Wyneken was installed in August of 1976. He served the congregation for thirteen years.
Six refurbished classrooms were dedicated on April 13, 1986.
Beginning of Ascension Preschool
On September 8, 1987 Ascension Preschool began.
Rev. John Gross Installed as Assistant Pastor
Rev. John Gross was installed as Assistant Pastor in August of 1988.
Rev. John Gross Becomes Senior Pastor
Rev. John Gross became the Senior Pastor in 1990. He served until 1999.
Rev. Daniel Moriarty Installed
Rev. Daniel Moriarty installed as full-time pastor.
Rev. Michael Abram Installed
Our current pastor is Rev. Michael Abram. He was officially installed as Pastor of Ascension on May 2, 2010.