We Believe and Teach…
- We believe in one God who is made up of three persons; the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit
- We believe God the Father, with the Son, and the Spirit created the universe and everything in it
- We believe God the Son became man, and gave Himself as a sacrifice, being nailed to a cross, to pay the penalty for the sins of the world.
- We believe the Holy Spirit uses the message of Jesus Christ to bring us to faith
- We believe we can do nothing to earn our salvation, it is a free gift of God through faith which is formed in us as we hear the message of God’s love and forgiveness shown us by Jesus.
What it Means to be Lutheran
The term “Lutheran” is actually very broad. There are three large groups of Lutherans in America today and each one differs somewhere on key theological issues. Ascension Lutheran Church is a member of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS). We believe, teach, and confess that the Holy Bible is the Word of God. We take a literal approach to scripture until context and relevant scripture urge us otherwise.
We carry the name “Lutheran” because that was the name given to the group of reformers led by a man named Martin Luther who lived in the 16th century. He, along with many others desired to see the Roman Catholic Church amend some of its erroneous teachings. They had no desire in the beginning to split or begin a new church body, but after attempts to have the Roman Catholic Church reform its wayward teaching, the group began its own church body, and kept the name “Lutheran” which had been their label during their efforts to reform.
As Lutherans, we believe that the sins of all people have been paid for through the suffering and death of Jesus Christ; that we come to that saving knowledge through hearing the message of Christ crucified; and that that message has the ability to create faith in those people who hear it. That is why we preach the message of Christ Crucified for the forgiveness of of sins.
Lutheranism ultimately is not about Luther, but about Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and He has done for us that we might have everlasting life in His name.